The canyon of the Tara river in Montenegro
The Tara Gorge is located in the Durmitor National Park and is 82 kilometers long. The river made its way through the high mountains, leaving 40 rapids and waterfalls behind. At its lowest point, the curvy, winding Tara Gorge is 1,300 meters deep.
The Blyde River Canyon in South Africa
This canyon is certainly not the largest in the world, but due to the subtropical forest it is certainly one of the greenest. On average around 750 meters deep, the deepest point goes down 1,372 meters! Not only is the landscape impressive, with a little luck you can spot one or the other of the five native great apes here.
Barranca del Cobre (Copper Gorge) in Mexico
Actually, this is not just one canyon in the Mexican province of Chihuahua, but six of them. The canyons formed by six rivers have copper-green walls, hence their name. The deepest point in the Barranca de Urique is 1,879 meters deep!
Der Cotahuasi Canyon in Peru
The 3,535 meter deep Coathuasi Gorge in Peru lies between the Coropuna and Solimana mountain ranges, through which the Cotahuasi River has dug. This gorge is extremely remote and can only be reached in a twelve-hour bus ride – hopefully this will stay that way for a long time to protect the landscape and wildlife!
Der Colca Canyon in Peru
The superlatives continue in Peru – the Colca Canyon is up to 4,160 meters deep! In Peru it is a popular tourist destination, but also home to the condor, the camel-like wild vicuñas and 6,000 year old archaeological excavations. There are also hot springs and a geyser! All of this attracts 120,000 tourists a year.
Der Fish River Canyon in Namibia
The Fish River Canyon in Namibia is the largest canyon in Africa. The river meanders through a high plateau for 160 kilometers. At its deepest point, the gorge is 550 meters deep and up to 27 kilometers wide. The canyon is popular with hikers and an extremely demanding marathon is held here every year.
The Grand Canyon in the USA
Even if many people (and not just Americans) think it is the largest canyon in the world, which it is not – the Grand Canyon is extremely majestic and impressive at 1,828 meters deep and 445 kilometers in length. And all of this was created by the erosion of the Colorado River alone! Around five million tourists visit the Grand Canyon each year. To witness the sunrise on its edge is an unsurpassable experience!
The Kali Gandaki Gorge in Nepal
The Kali Gandaki River, which winds through the gorge, is significantly older than the geologically young Himalayas. The river was named after the Hindu deity Kali. Its water is black because it is rich in sediment and glacial silt. The exact depth of the Kali Gandaki Gorge is controversial because no one could agree on the height of the rim. From the highest peak to the lowest point of the river it would be 6,800 meters, making this gorge the deepest in the world.
The Capertee Valley in Australia
The Capertee Valley is located in New South Wales in Australia. The majestic sandstone canyon is ancient and therefore not as deep as others, but it is wider and longer than even the Grand Canyon. Aboriginal people have settled here for over 2,000 years, as you can see from the ancient rock paintings. In the past, diamonds were also mined here.
The great Yarlung Tsangpo Gorge in Tibet
Near the holy mountain Kailash in Tibet the mighty gorge of the Brahmaputra begins in the direction of India. With an average depth of 4,876 meters and up to 6,009 meters at the deepest point, the Yarlung Tsangpo Gorge is considered by many to be the deepest in the world. It is 240 kilometers long.
- Accommodation in Finland
- Africa Geography
- African Economy Overview
- Asia Climate
- Bonaire As a Forest
- Colombia Travel Package
- Czech Republic As a Destination Country
- Laos Travel Plan
- North America Overview
- Norway Destinations
- Rwanda The Land of The 1000 Hills
- Travel to Central America
- Venezuela Territory
- Katmai National Park in Alaska August 16, 2022 - Smoking Mountains - Ten Thousand Smokes Katmai National Park & Preserve is located in the southwest of the US state of Alaska, at the transition from the mainland to the… Read more
- William Tell in New York at the Big Apple August 9, 2022 - New York has a new attraction just 17 miles from the iconic Statue of Liberty. In the middle of the sea lies the small Rat Island, where Wilhelm Tell and… Read more
- Kenya Fast Facts August 2, 2022 - Kenya is located in East Africa and borders Ethiopia, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda. Beautiful beaches and a rich wildlife are among the highlights of the country. However, as… Read more
- Brunei Fast Facts July 26, 2022 - Brunei is located in the South China Sea on the island of Borneo, bordering Malaysia. The strictly Islamic country is considered to be very rich, but not yet developed for… Read more
- Greece Fast Facts July 19, 2022 - Greece is one of the Mediterranean countries bordering Albania, Bulgaria, Macedonia and Turkey. Magnificent beaches, beautiful islands and lots of sun fascinate travelers as well as the exciting temples and… Read more
- Cuba Fast Facts July 12, 2022 - Cuba is a country that has been attracting increasing numbers of visitors since the US eased its decades-long trade embargo. Chic vintage cars, beautiful landscapes, fantastic beaches and somehow a… Read more
- Gates of the Arctic National Park in Alaska July 5, 2022 - Lonely and original According to liuxers, the Gates of the Arctic National Park is located in the US state of Alaska. Up to 5,000 visitors come to this rather cold… Read more
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee June 28, 2022 - The smoking blue mountains of the Appalachian Mountains According to Acronymmonster, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is by far the most visited national park in the USA. Over nine… Read more
- Redwood National Park June 21, 2022 - Redwood National Park (California, USA) - exact location, interesting places, inhabitants, routes. Ocean waves, giant trees, thickets of ferns and flowering hills - such a planet was thousands of years… Read more
- Dallas Art Museum, Texas June 14, 2022 - Dallas Museum of Art (Dallas, USA) - expositions, opening hours, address, phone numbers, official website. According to Toppharmacyschools, the Dallas Art Museum is the premier art museum in the downtown… Read more