Fayette City, Pennsylvania
According to homethodology, Fayette City, Pennsylvania is located in the southwest corner of Fayette County, just east of the Allegheny Mountains. With a population of nearly 8,000 people, it is a small but vibrant community. The city has a pleasant climate with mild winters and hot summers.
The history of Fayette City dates back to the 18th century when it was founded by settlers from Germany and England. The city has always been known for its diverse population and strong sense of community. In recent years, Fayette City has become increasingly politically active with several candidates running for local office each election cycle.
The economy in Fayette City is largely driven by the steel industry that has been an important part of the area for many decades. There are also several small businesses in town that provide goods and services to locals and visitors alike.
Fayette City is served by two public schools: Fayette Elementary School and Fayette High School. Both schools offer a rigorous academic program as well as extracurricular activities such as sports teams, music programs, and theater productions.
Fayette City also boasts several landmarks including historical sites like The Old Stone Church and The National Register-listed Victorian Mansion; parks like McHenry Park; shopping centers like Liberty Plaza; and cultural attractions like the Gandy Dancer Theater Company which produces classic plays throughout the year.
Population: 714. Estimated population in July 2020: 684 (-4.2% change)
Males: 336 (47.1%), Females: 378 (52.9%)
Zip code: 15438
Median resident age: 37.7 years
Median household income: $29,375
Median house value: $45,800
Races in Fayette City:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.2%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (17.1%), English (16.4%), Italian (12.3%), Polish (10.1%), Irish (9.0%), Slovak (5.9%).
Elevation: 900 feet
Land area: 0.3 square miles
Fayette City, Pennsylvania is a small rural community located in the southwestern corner of Fayette County. The population of Fayette City was 2,176 people as of the 2019 census. The median age of the population is 41 years old. The majority of the population is white (91%) with a small percentage of African Americans (3%) and Hispanic/Latinos (5%).
The cost of living in Fayette City is relatively low compared to other areas in Pennsylvania and across the United States. According to Sperling’s Best Places, the cost of living index for Fayette City is 81.7, which is 19.3 points lower than the national average. The median home value in Fayette City is $97,200 with a median rent price at $686 per month. The unemployment rate for Fayette City was 4% as of 2019 which is lower than both state and national averages at this time.
The local economy relies heavily on tourism due to its proximity to local attractions such as Ohiopyle State Park, Fallingwater, and Fort Necessity National Battlefield. In addition, there are several local businesses that serve the community such as restaurants, shops, and professional services that help keep jobs in Fayette City year-round. Education opportunities are also available for residents with Seton Hill University located just outside town offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in many fields including business administration, education, nursing and more.
For population 25 years and over in Fayette City
- High school or higher: 79.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 5.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 33.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Fayette City borough
- Never married: 22.1%
- Now married: 52.3%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 11.1%
- Divorced: 13.0%
0.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -7 (-1.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Fayette City:
- BROWNSVILLE GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; BROWNSVILLE, PA)
- MONONGAHELA VALLEY HOSPITAL INC (about 9 miles; MONONGAHELA, PA)
- UNIONTOWN HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; UNIONTOWN, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Fayette City:
- ALLEGHENY COUNTY (about 18 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Abbreviation: AGC)
- MORGANTOWN MUNI-WALTER L. BILL HART FLD (about 33 miles; MORGANTOWN, WV; Abbreviation: MGW)
- ARNOLD PALMER REGIONAL (about 33 miles; LATROBE, PA; Abbreviation: LBE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Fayette City:
- ROSTRAVER (about 7 miles; MONONGAHELA, PA; Abbreviation: FWQ)
- FINLEYVILLE AIRPARK (about 15 miles; FINLEYVILLE, PA; Abbreviation: G05)
- CONNELLSVILLE (about 17 miles; CONNELLSVILLE, PA; Abbreviation: VVS)
Amtrak station near Fayette City:
- 18 miles: CONNELLSVILLE (FRONT & WATER STS.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Fayette City:
- CALIFORNIA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 5 miles; CALIFORNIA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 5,183)
- WESTMORELAND COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 21 miles; YOUNGWOOD, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,223)
- CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 7,903)
- ART INSTITUTE PITTSBURGH (about 26 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,246)
- POINT PARK COLLEGE (about 27 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,189)
- UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH-MAIN CAMPUS (about 27 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 22,930)
- DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY (about 27 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 8,199)