The canyon of the Tara river in Montenegro
The Tara Gorge is located in the Durmitor National Park and is 82 kilometers long. The river made its way through the high mountains, leaving 40 rapids and waterfalls behind. At its lowest point, the curvy, winding Tara Gorge is 1,300 meters deep.
The Blyde River Canyon in South Africa
This canyon is certainly not the largest in the world, but due to the subtropical forest it is certainly one of the greenest. On average around 750 meters deep, the deepest point goes down 1,372 meters! Not only is the landscape impressive, with a little luck you can spot one or the other of the five native great apes here.
Barranca del Cobre (Copper Gorge) in Mexico
Actually, this is not just one canyon in the Mexican province of Chihuahua, but six of them. The canyons formed by six rivers have copper-green walls, hence their name. The deepest point in the Barranca de Urique is 1,879 meters deep!
Der Cotahuasi Canyon in Peru
The 3,535 meter deep Coathuasi Gorge in Peru lies between the Coropuna and Solimana mountain ranges, through which the Cotahuasi River has dug. This gorge is extremely remote and can only be reached in a twelve-hour bus ride – hopefully this will stay that way for a long time to protect the landscape and wildlife!
Der Colca Canyon in Peru
The superlatives continue in Peru – the Colca Canyon is up to 4,160 meters deep! In Peru it is a popular tourist destination, but also home to the condor, the camel-like wild vicuñas and 6,000 year old archaeological excavations. There are also hot springs and a geyser! All of this attracts 120,000 tourists a year.
Der Fish River Canyon in Namibia
The Fish River Canyon in Namibia is the largest canyon in Africa. The river meanders through a high plateau for 160 kilometers. At its deepest point, the gorge is 550 meters deep and up to 27 kilometers wide. The canyon is popular with hikers and an extremely demanding marathon is held here every year.
The Grand Canyon in the USA
Even if many people (and not just Americans) think it is the largest canyon in the world, which it is not – the Grand Canyon is extremely majestic and impressive at 1,828 meters deep and 445 kilometers in length. And all of this was created by the erosion of the Colorado River alone! Around five million tourists visit the Grand Canyon each year. To witness the sunrise on its edge is an unsurpassable experience!
The Kali Gandaki Gorge in Nepal
The Kali Gandaki River, which winds through the gorge, is significantly older than the geologically young Himalayas. The river was named after the Hindu deity Kali. Its water is black because it is rich in sediment and glacial silt. The exact depth of the Kali Gandaki Gorge is controversial because no one could agree on the height of the rim. From the highest peak to the lowest point of the river it would be 6,800 meters, making this gorge the deepest in the world.
The Capertee Valley in Australia
The Capertee Valley is located in New South Wales in Australia. The majestic sandstone canyon is ancient and therefore not as deep as others, but it is wider and longer than even the Grand Canyon. Aboriginal people have settled here for over 2,000 years, as you can see from the ancient rock paintings. In the past, diamonds were also mined here.
The great Yarlung Tsangpo Gorge in Tibet
Near the holy mountain Kailash in Tibet the mighty gorge of the Brahmaputra begins in the direction of India. With an average depth of 4,876 meters and up to 6,009 meters at the deepest point, the Yarlung Tsangpo Gorge is considered by many to be the deepest in the world. It is 240 kilometers long.
- Accommodation in Finland
- Africa Geography
- African Economy Overview
- Asia Climate
- Bonaire As a Forest
- Colombia Travel Package
- Czech Republic As a Destination Country
- Laos Travel Plan
- North America Overview
- Norway Destinations
- Rwanda The Land of The 1000 Hills
- Travel to Central America
- Venezuela Territory
- Diekirch and Echternach, Luxembourg December 13, 2022 - Diekirch According to Wholevehicles, Diekirch is a small picturesque town, famous primarily for the eponymous brewery and a stunning military museum. Located in a very beautiful place on the Sauer… Read more
- US 378 and 411 in Georgia December 6, 2022 - US 378 in Georgia US 378 Get started Washington End Lincolntown Length 22 mi Length 35 km Route Washington Lincolntown South Carolina According to Biotionary, US 378 is a US… Read more
- Entertainment and Attractions in Mayrhofen, Austria November 29, 2022 - Of particular interest is the Brandberg water mill near the Mühlbach stream, which was built in the 18th century and was used until the 50s. the last century. You can… Read more
- Hama and Homs, Syria November 22, 2022 - Hama Between Aleppo and Damascus, Hama is located - a city famous for its huge wooden water-lifting wheels "noria" with a diameter of up to 20 m. The city itself… Read more
- Sights of Wellington, New Zealand November 15, 2022 - According to Bridgat, Wellington is located in the southern part of New Zealand's North Island. The city is named after the duke of the same name and is the capital… Read more
- Climate and Weather of Tuscany, Italy October 25, 2022 - The climate of Tuscany According to bridgat, Tuscany is centrally located in Italy and has the cities of Florence, Pisa, Siena, Lucca, San Gimignano, Volterra and Maremma. Tuscany is one… Read more
- Climate and Weather of Dingle, Ireland October 18, 2022 - The climate of Dingle According to BRIDGAT, the Irish coast is a popular holiday destination for those who love rugged untamed nature. Ireland's western coastal areas mainly consist of rugged… Read more
- Climate and Weather of Seville, Spain October 11, 2022 - The climate of Seville According to BRIDGAT.COM, Seville, the city of flamenco is located in the southern part of Spain in the region of Andalusia and the province of Seville.… Read more
- Climate and Weather of Nagpur, India October 4, 2022 - The climate of Nagpur According to bridgat, Nagpur is located in the state of Maharashtra. The city is not very special. There is very little to do outside the lively… Read more
- Climate and Weather of Fuzhou, China September 27, 2022 - The climate of Fuzhou Fuzhou is an ancient city in Fujian Province, located opposite Taiwan. The city has many ancient cultural sites such as temples and other beautiful old buildings.… Read more