The canyon of the Tara river in Montenegro
The Tara Gorge is located in the Durmitor National Park and is 82 kilometers long. The river made its way through the high mountains, leaving 40 rapids and waterfalls behind. At its lowest point, the curvy, winding Tara Gorge is 1,300 meters deep.
The Blyde River Canyon in South Africa
This canyon is certainly not the largest in the world, but due to the subtropical forest it is certainly one of the greenest. On average around 750 meters deep, the deepest point goes down 1,372 meters! Not only is the landscape impressive, with a little luck you can spot one or the other of the five native great apes here.
Barranca del Cobre (Copper Gorge) in Mexico
Actually, this is not just one canyon in the Mexican province of Chihuahua, but six of them. The canyons formed by six rivers have copper-green walls, hence their name. The deepest point in the Barranca de Urique is 1,879 meters deep!
Der Cotahuasi Canyon in Peru
The 3,535 meter deep Coathuasi Gorge in Peru lies between the Coropuna and Solimana mountain ranges, through which the Cotahuasi River has dug. This gorge is extremely remote and can only be reached in a twelve-hour bus ride – hopefully this will stay that way for a long time to protect the landscape and wildlife!
Der Colca Canyon in Peru
The superlatives continue in Peru – the Colca Canyon is up to 4,160 meters deep! In Peru it is a popular tourist destination, but also home to the condor, the camel-like wild vicuñas and 6,000 year old archaeological excavations. There are also hot springs and a geyser! All of this attracts 120,000 tourists a year.
Der Fish River Canyon in Namibia
The Fish River Canyon in Namibia is the largest canyon in Africa. The river meanders through a high plateau for 160 kilometers. At its deepest point, the gorge is 550 meters deep and up to 27 kilometers wide. The canyon is popular with hikers and an extremely demanding marathon is held here every year.
The Grand Canyon in the USA
Even if many people (and not just Americans) think it is the largest canyon in the world, which it is not – the Grand Canyon is extremely majestic and impressive at 1,828 meters deep and 445 kilometers in length. And all of this was created by the erosion of the Colorado River alone! Around five million tourists visit the Grand Canyon each year. To witness the sunrise on its edge is an unsurpassable experience!
The Kali Gandaki Gorge in Nepal
The Kali Gandaki River, which winds through the gorge, is significantly older than the geologically young Himalayas. The river was named after the Hindu deity Kali. Its water is black because it is rich in sediment and glacial silt. The exact depth of the Kali Gandaki Gorge is controversial because no one could agree on the height of the rim. From the highest peak to the lowest point of the river it would be 6,800 meters, making this gorge the deepest in the world.
The Capertee Valley in Australia
The Capertee Valley is located in New South Wales in Australia. The majestic sandstone canyon is ancient and therefore not as deep as others, but it is wider and longer than even the Grand Canyon. Aboriginal people have settled here for over 2,000 years, as you can see from the ancient rock paintings. In the past, diamonds were also mined here.
The great Yarlung Tsangpo Gorge in Tibet
Near the holy mountain Kailash in Tibet the mighty gorge of the Brahmaputra begins in the direction of India. With an average depth of 4,876 meters and up to 6,009 meters at the deepest point, the Yarlung Tsangpo Gorge is considered by many to be the deepest in the world. It is 240 kilometers long.
Top U.S. Cities by State
- Accommodation in Finland
- Africa Geography
- African Economy Overview
- Asia Climate
- Bonaire As a Forest
- Colombia Travel Package
- Czech Republic As a Destination Country
- Laos Travel Plan
- North America Overview
- Norway Destinations
- Rwanda The Land of The 1000 Hills
- Travel to Central America
- Venezuela Territory
- Babylon, New York May 21, 2023 - According to ehuacom, Babylon, New York is located in Suffolk County on the South Shore of Long Island. It is bordered to the north by Lindenhurst, to the east by… Read more
- Dacono, Colorado May 14, 2023 - According to ehuacom, Dacono, Colorado is a small town located in the northeast corner of Weld County. It lies just 14 miles northeast of Denver and is part of the… Read more
- Darby, Montana May 7, 2023 - According to Jibin123, Darby, Montana is located in the Rocky Mountain region of the United States. It is situated in southwestern Montana, near the Idaho border. The city of Darby… Read more
- Bay Springs, Mississippi April 30, 2023 - According to iamaccepted, Bay Springs, Mississippi is situated in the northeastern corner of the state along the banks of the Pearl River. The city is located approximately 75 miles south… Read more
- Big Sandy, Montana April 23, 2023 - According to existingcountries, Big Sandy, Montana is located in the north-central part of the state. It is situated in a wide valley surrounded by rolling hills and mountains. The area… Read more
- Batesville, Mississippi April 16, 2023 - According to ehuacom, Batesville, Mississippi is located in Panola County and is the county seat. It is situated in the northwest corner of the state, just south of the Tennessee-Mississippi… Read more
- Amsterdam, Missouri April 9, 2023 - According to anycountyprivateschools, Amsterdam, Missouri is a small town located in the southeastern corner of the state, about 30 miles from the Mississippi River. It is situated in a rural… Read more
- Baldwyn, Mississippi April 2, 2023 - According to andyeducation, Baldwyn, Mississippi is a small city located in the northeastern part of the state. It is part of Lee County, which borders both Alabama and Tennessee. The… Read more
- Alden, Minnesota March 26, 2023 - According to act-test-centers, Allendale, Minnesota is a small city located in the heart of Otter Tail County. The city is situated on the northern shore of Lake Allendale, which provides… Read more
- Fayette City, Pennsylvania March 7, 2023 - According to homethodology, Fayette City, Pennsylvania is located in the southwest corner of Fayette County, just east of the Allegheny Mountains. With a population of nearly 8,000 people, it is… Read more